UH Hilo Discovers Mamaki Benefits
The University of Hawaii furnishes a great service to the islands by focusing research to help discover the value of Hawaii’s natural assets. The Mamaki plant has been the subject of some of those investigations.
- Nutrient, Polyphenols, and Total Antioxidant Activities on Mamaki is a 46-page PDF discussion of the plant’s nutrient profile and benefits published in August 2006.
- Major phenolic acids and total antioxidant activity in Mamaki leaves, study published in Journal of Food Science, November 2007.
- Nutrient and mineral composition of dried Mamaki leaves (Pipturus albidus) and infusions, study published in Journal of Food Science, February 2011.
- Native Plants Hawaii is a UH website that includes a fairly detailed compilation of Mamaki findings.
- Hawaiian Native Plant Propagation Database by UH includes Mamaki propagation details
Article Source: https://miraclemamaki.com/?p=62
Health Benefits from Mama-kii.com
|Presumed Health Benefits – Legend and Tradition. For thousands of years, Hawaiians have known what a supreme leaf it is. You could say that they were the test patients for this incredible powerhouse. Revered and treasured as a sacred plant, Hawaiian’s used Mamaki for generations to aid in overall health and well-being. With love and care, parents passed on the secret of Mamaki to their children. Now Mama-Kii™ is sharing that secret with you! Scientifically Reported Benefits An extensive scientific study was conducted at the University of Hawaii on Mamaki tea. A collaborative effort between the Department of Human Nutrition, Food, and Animal Science and the Department of Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering was supportive of the benefits shared in Hawaiian folklore. (Kartika, Li, Wall, Nakamoto, Iwaoka, 2007) Three major antioxidants in Mamaki leaves were identified in the University of Hawaii study. They are catechins, chlorogenic acid, and rutin.||
STUDIES OF THE PROPRIETARY GROWN MAMAKI TEA FOUND TRACES OF ANTIOXIDANTS INCLUDING EGCG, AS WELL AS BETA-CAROTENE AND CERTAIN MINERALS: CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, POTASSIUM, AND PHOSPHORUS.
- Antioxidants may help maintain cell integrity and fight free radicals.
- Beta-Carotene may neutralize free radicals and increase cellular antioxidant defense.
- Calcium is understood to build strong bones.
- Magnesium contributes to bone health and healthy immune function.
- Potassium can help maintain a healthy blood pressure level in combination with a low-sodium diet.
Article Source: https://www.mama-kii.com/pages/health-benefits
Health Benefits from MauiMedicinal.com
The natives of Hawaii are accustomed to taking the leaves raw or even cooked because of their health benefits. Tea prepared from Mamaki leaves supersedes any other beverage as it contains numerous detoxifiers and powerful antioxidants that promote notable health attributes to the body.
Different Mamaki Species
Uhaloa- Locals have over time used this species to treat cold and respiratory infections like Asthma and sore throats.
Kinehe- This species is used as an immune booster to prevent infections and regulate blood sugar levels in the body.
Wapine – This is used as a pain reliever and improves general body circulation of fluids.
The general presentation of the mamaki plant is in the form of a tree. The bark of the tree has over the years been used to make clothes which are referred to as (Kappa) as the locals called it and recognized worldwide. The bark has over time been used alongside the berries and when given to nursing and lactating mothers helps in boosting the production of quality baby’s milk. Besides, it also helps in quick recovery of the mother by aiding the expectant mother to relax her muscles prior to delivery.
The tree bark would be crushed using the tree wood referred as the kappa beaters to make Kappa (bark cloth). The Wauke species was best for the production of the bark clothes.
The Hawaiian Natives have from time immemorial used the Mamaki plant in totality with little or no wastage. The mamaki berries were given to mothers and children with an infection referred to as the coating tongue thrush or latent childhood disease as a very effective curative measure. Mamaki Berries can be mixed in food to realize their medicinal advantages.
The Mamaki plant is also referred to as the Hawaiian Nettle. It is recognized for its strength both as a preventative and curative Hawaiian Plant. The Mamaki plants have evolved in Hawaii before its inhabitants came to settle in the islands and it is native to them. It is considered as a unique, stimulating herbal tea, and it can be used to stay fit and get relief from a wide range of diseases.
Mamaki tea has been used for thousands of years in Hawaiian history. It is well regarded and culturally respected due to its ability to treat and offer relief for a wide range of ailments.
Article Source: https://www.mauimedicinal.com/blogs/health-wellness-blog/incredible-advantages-of-mamaki-plants-you-need-to-know